6 ounces meaty slab or thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium baking potato, peeled and coarsely shredded
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
2 teaspoons snipped chives
1 teaspoon chopped sage
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound prepared pizza or bread dough, thawed if frozen
1/4 cup crème fraîche
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 500°.
- In a large, heavy skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until lightly browned around the edges, about 3 minutes; drain.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add the potato and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes; add a little water to the pan if the potato begins to stick. Stir in the vinegar, chives and sage and season with salt and pepper; remove from the heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 10-by-13-inch rectangle.
- Transfer to a lightly floured baking sheet, stretching it back into the rectangle.
- Stir the crème fraîche and nutmeg into the potato mixture and spread it over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border all around. Scatter the bacon on top. Bake the tart for 12 minutes, or until the edges are browned. Cut into squares and serve hot.
Make ahead: The tart can be baked earlier in the day; reheat before serving.
Makes about 24 squares.