2 cups low-fat (1%) milk
1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
6 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1-tablespoon dark rum
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Crumb Crust, recipe below
1 cup chilled whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1-teaspoon dark rum
- For Filling: Whisk first 4 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan to blend.
- Whisk in egg yolks to form thick paste. Gradually whisk in milk, then cream.
- Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and boils 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Whisk in rum and vanilla.
- Cool 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Transfer filling to frozen crust. Chill until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- For Topping: Beat first 3 ingredients in large bowl until firm peaks form.
- Spoon whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe rosettes around edge of pie.
- Garnish with chocolate curls. (Can be made 4 hours ahead; chill.)
Makes 8 servings.
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
1 ounce bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
30 chocolate wafer cookies
- Spray 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish with nonstick spray.
- Stir butter and chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat until melted.
- Finely grind cookies in processor. Add chocolate mixture. Process until crumbs are moistened.
- Press crumb mixture into prepared pie dish. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
Makes one 9-inch Crust.Print recipe with images | without images