21 slices batard or good French bread, sliced 1 inch thick
1/2 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1 cup goat cheese, softened
1 cup olive tapenade (recipe follows)
1 cup roasted peppers, store-bought
7 white anchovies
1/2 cup garlic aioli (recipe follows)
1-2 tomatoes confit
7 slices Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Lightly oil the bread on both sides and grill.
- Rub the bread with the garlic cloves.
- Spread soft goat cheese on 7 pieces of bread and top with olive tapenade.
- Spread soft goat cheese on 7 pieces of bread top with roasted peppers and white anchovies.
- Spread garlic aioli on 7 pieces of bread.
- Place confit tomato on top and then Parmesan.
- Drizzle olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar on each piece.
- Blanch tomatoes in boiling salted water for 15 seconds. Shock in ice water.
- Peel and quarter tomatoes and remove the seeds with a knife. Place on a sheet pan; cover half way with olive oil.
- Season each piece with salt and sugar. Roast in a 225 degree F. oven for 20 minutes.
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped basil
2 extra-large raw egg yolks (see Note)
Freshly ground white pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 to 2 cups safflower oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a food processor or blender, combine the garlic, basil, egg yolks, salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard and process to combine.
- With the machine running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream a thick, creamy emulsion forms. Pulse in the lemon juice and adjust the seasonings to taste.
Makes about 2 cups.
Other bruschetta topping ideas include:
Shaved Parmesan, dry jack or Gruyère cheese
Fresh, creamy goat cheese, at room temperature
Roasted red bell peppers, home-roasted or bottled, cut into thin strips
Oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into thin strips
Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced, or halved, seeded, and diced
Fresh basil leaves, cut into fine julienne strips or left whole
Crushed red pepper flakes
Thinly sliced prosciutto
Anchovy fillets packed in olive oil, drained
Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced