1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 anchovy fillets, mashed
Scant 1 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large head romaine lettuce, cleaned and cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
Freshly grated Parmesan
2 cups croutons
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice, garlic, Worcestershire, pepper flakes, mustard, and anchovies.
- Slowly whisk in the oils to emulsify. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Sprinkle with Parmesan and black pepper.
- Drizzle with desired amount of dressing and toss well. Sprinkle top with croutons.
To flavor the croutons with parmesean: toast one side in the oven for a few minutes. Remove and rub tops with garlic. Flip croutons over and finely grate the cheese over the bread before toasting it for another 5 minutes in the oven.
1 French-bread baguette, sliced into rounds
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tbls olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange bread slices on 2 baking sheets. Bake bread until crisp and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Rub remaining 2 garlic cloves over 1 side of each crouton.
- Lightly brush croutons with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Serve croutons warm or at room temperature with dips. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cool croutons completely; store in airtight container at room temperature.)