2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup water
8 Crostini Toasts, recipe below
2 ounces Taleggio or Reblochon cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the water and cook until it has evaporated and the onion is very tender and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the Crostini Toasts on a baking sheet and top each with a slice of cheese. Bake for about 4 minutes, or just until the cheese melts.
- Top with the caramelized onion and serve.
Make ahead: the caramelized onion can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Let the onion return to room temperature before using it.
Makes 8 hors d'oeurves.
1 medium baguette, cut into thirty-two 1/4 -inch-thick slices
About 1/4 cup olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Arrange the bread on 2 large baking sheets and brush each slice on both sides with the olive oil.
- Bake for about 7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool completely.
Make ahead: the toasts can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.