From Bon Appétit magazine
2 lbs. Yukon Gold or russet potatoes (unpeeled)
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced shallots
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
- Place potatoes in large saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy medium skillet over high heat. Add shallots; sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low; stir until shallots are golden, about 5 minutes longer.
- Add fresh sage, white balsamic vinegar, and sugar; stir until caramelized, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Drain potatoes well; cool slightly. Peel and mash potatoes; place in large saucepan. Over medium heat, dry out potatoes for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat milk in small saucepan until warm. Stir butter into potatoes. Add warm milk and stir until completely absorbed. Stir shallot-sage mixture into potatoes. Season with salt.