2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup red bell pepper cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 medium boiling potato cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
1/2 pound extra sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup rye croutons
Makes 3.5 cups.
2 thick slices dark rye bread
- In a 2-quart saucepan heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking .
- Add onion, carrot, celery, pepper and potato. Cook until onion is soft.
- Add flour and cook over medium heat, stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, wine, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne and broccoli florets.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes until broccoli and potatoes are tender.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in Cheddar, a little at a time, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with Rye Croutons.
Makes 1/2 cup.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut rye bread into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place in single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 5 minutes, or until dry.
Post A Comment
To post comments, please log in or register.