1 sweet pie crust, recipe follows
1 cup milk chocolate chips
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped pecan pieces
1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
Edible gold leaf, torn or cut into flakes, garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to an 11-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie pan, trim and flute the edges. Let rest refrigerated for 20 minutes.
- Cover with parchment paper and pie weights. Bake until set, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the paper and weights and cook until just golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- In the top of a double boiler, gently melt the chocolate chips over almost simmering water. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate with the corn syrup, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and pecans. Pour into the cooled pie crust and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
- Place half of the chopped bittersweet chocolate in a small bowl. Place the remaining bittersweet chocolate and the oil in the top of a double boiler, or in a small metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Heat the chocolate, whisking, until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the chocolate in the bowl, whisking to melt. Pour over the warm pie, spreading to the edges to coat the top.
- Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks start to form. Add the sugar and whip to stiff peaks.
- Remove the pie from the refrigerator, slice and arrange on plates. Garnish each slice with edible gold flakes and serve with whipped cream on the side.
Basic Sweet Pie Crust:
8 ounces flour, about 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick (1/4 pound) cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together.
- Add more water as needed to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over mix. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
Makes 1 (9 or 10-inch) pie crust.