- Using a mandoline, slice the potatoes 1/16 inch thick. Rinse the slices under cold water and put them in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of salt. Add cold water to cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the bowl. Add water to cover and let soak for 1 more hour. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350° over moderately high heat.
- Working in small batches, fry the potato chips, stirring a few times, until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potato chips to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Homemade Potato Chips From Food & Wine magazine 5 Idaho baking potatoes, peeled Kosher salt Vegetable oil, for frying
Related: Homemade Potato Chips, Baby Shower, chips, recipes, food & wine, come party with me, appetizers