12 mini dinner rolls, split
1 garlic clove, halved
Extra-virgin olive oil for liberal drizzling
1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
10 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cups baby spinach, thinly sliced
3/4 pound Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Preheat broiler to high. Place the rolls on a broiler pan and toast until golden. Rub with the garlic and drizzle with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef with the Worcestershire sauce, sage, shallot and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide into 4 equal pieces and form 3 mini patties from each piece, 12 mini burger patties total.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the patties for 3 minutes on the first side and 1 to 2 minutes on the other side for medium.
- Top each bun bottom with some spinach, a burger patty and a few cheese crumbles.
- Place under the broiler to melt the cheese a bit, about 30 seconds, then set the bun tops in place.
Makes 12 mini burgers.
Substitute: Feel free to use your favorite type of cheese and herbs in this dish. Monterey jack and cilantro, Cheddar and parsley, or parmesan and rosemary are all great pairings.