1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 large egg
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco
1 lb jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
4 cups cornflakes
tomato ginger jam, recipe below
thinly sliced fresh cilantro, optional garnish
- Whisk together mayonnaise, egg, mustard, Old Bay, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Tabasco, then gently stir in crabmeat. Chill, covered, 2 hours.
- Pulse cornflakes in a food processor until coarsely ground and put in a shallow dish. Form 1 heaping teaspoon crab mixture into a 1 1/2-inch-diameter cake (mixture will be very moist), then gently dredge in cornflakes.
- Make more crab cakes in same manner, transferring to buttered baking sheets.
- Chill, covered, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake crab cakes in batches in middle of oven until crisp and golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer with a spatula to a platter and top each with about 1/2 tablespoon tomato ginger jam.
Make ahead: unbaked crab cakes can chill up to 4 hours.
Makes 36 hors d'oeuvres.
1/4 cup minced shallot
1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1 large garlic clove, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 lb plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook shallot, ginger, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring, until shallot is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook, stirring, until dissolved.
- Add tomatoes and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
Cool jam to room temperature, then stir in lime juice and cilantro.
Make ahead: jam can be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Stir in lime juice and cilantro just before serving.
Makes about 1 1/4 cups.