1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 17.3-ounce package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups chopped mixed candied fruit (such as glacéed pineapple, cherries, orange peel, and sweetened dried cranberries)
1 egg, beaten to blend
- Mix first 5 ingredients in small bowl.
- Sprinkle work surface generously with additional sugar; place 1 puff pastry sheet on sugared surface. Cut sheet in half, forming two 9 1/2x4 1/2-inch rectangles.
- Brush each rectangle generously with some of melted butter, leaving 1-inch plain border along 1 long side of each. Sprinkle buttered part of each rectangle with 1 1/2 tablespoons spiced sugar. Scatter 1/2 cup candied fruit over spiced sugar on each. Brush border of each with egg.
- Starting at long side opposite glazed border, tightly roll up each rectangle, pressing firmly to seal long edges.
- Wrap each log separately in plastic. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet, butter, spiced sugar, candied fruit, and egg to create 2 more logs. Chill logs until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
- Position 1 rack in center and second rack in top third of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using serrated knife, cut 2 logs into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (keep remaining 2 logs chilled). Arrange rounds on prepared sheets, spacing 1 inch apart.
- Bake 12 minutes, then reverse position of sheets and bake until cookies are golden brown, about 12 minutes longer.
- Cool cookies on sheets on racks 5 minutes. Using spatula, transfer cookies to racks, bottom side up. Cool completely.
- Repeat slicing and baking with remaining 2 logs. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Store airtight between sheets of waxed paper.)
Makes about 5 dozen.