For the pizza dough:
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon milk
4 teaspoons dry, active yeast
2 cups all-purpose flour,plus extra
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon olive oil, plus extra
For the rainbow tomato topping:
4 tomatoes,various varieties and colors
2 cloves garlic,chopped
1/8 cup olive oil
4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the water, milk and yeast together in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add the flour, salt and olive oil. Mix together with a wooden spoon until the dough is too thick and sticky to stir.
- Spread a little flour on a work surface and place the dough on top of the flour. Knead the dough by pulling the dough from the sides and folding it into the middle. Keep kneading until the dough becomes a smooth ball. If it sticks to the table or to your hands, add a little more flour.
- Rub a clean bowl with olive oil and put the dough in it. Cover the bowl with a towel and put it in a warm place. Let the dough rise for about 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in volume.
- Punch the raised dough down with your fist. Turn the dough over, form it into a ball again, cover, and let rise for another hour.
- Heat the oven to 450°F. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin or use your hands to pat the dough into a circle about 12" to 14" across and 1/4"-thick. Place the dough on an oiled baking sheet.
- Cut the tomatoes into very thin rounds.
- Sprinkle the garlic and spread the olive oil over the rolled dough. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese, leaving the edge of the pizza free. Put the tomato slices on top of the cheese.
- Bake until nicely browned and crispy, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, drizzle a little olive oil over the edge, and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Slice pizza into 8 slices.