For the tuna tartare
1/2 pound ahi tuna, small dice
1/2 cup minced green onions
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon wasabi paste
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
Lime juice or yuzu
For the miso cones
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup unsifted unbleached flour
- In a bowl, combine the tuna, green onions, ginger, wasabi, sesame oil, soy sauce and lime juice, and mix until well blended.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with lime juice or soy sauce. Set bowl over ice.
- Next, prepare the miso cones: in a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients, mixing until butter is combined.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop miso cone batter by one small level spoonful onto lined baking sheet, spacing them apart because they will spread during baking. Bake for about 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Keep an eye on them; they burn quickly.
- Remove from oven and roll into cone shapes, being careful not to burn your fingers.
- Place a generous spoonful of tuna mix into each cone.
- Repeat process until you have enough to arrange on a serving platter. Serve immediately.
Makes 24 pieces.