1-tablespoon vegetable oil
1 shallot, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
10 bacon strips, fried until crisp and crumbled
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 cups sour cream
1-teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium low heat. Add the garlic and shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until the shallot softens and the garlic begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Put the spinach in a colander and squeeze out all of the excess water.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the artichoke hearts, crumbled bacon, cooked garlic and shallot, lemon zest, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Mix well with a rubber spatula, and transfer to a decorative bowl.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes before serving so the flavors can blend.
- Serve with crispy croutons.
1 French-bread baguette, sliced into rounds
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tbls olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange bread slices on 2 baking sheets. Bake bread until crisp and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Rub remaining 2 garlic cloves over 1 side of each crouton.
- Lightly brush croutons with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Serve croutons warm or at room temperature with dips. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cool croutons completely; store in airtight container at room temperature.)