3 tablespoons peanut oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup plum wine or sherry
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons chopped peeled ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed chili pepper flakes
1 1/4 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons Wolfgang's Asian Rib Sauce (see recipe below or use a store bought version)
1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup each 1-inch cubes of yellow and red bell pepper
2 scallions, cut into 1-inch slices
2 tbsp Thai basil (if you can not find Thai basil substitute 1 tablespoon each mint and basil)
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 head of romaine lettuce, leaves separated
4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- In a 10-inch skillet or wok, heat the peanut oil until smoking.
- Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper and sear, about 1 minute on each side.
- Deglaze the pan with the plum wine or sherry and stir in the garlic, ginger and chili flakes.
- Pour in the stock and reduce by half (sauce will begin to thicken).
- Add the rib sauce, mushrooms, peppers, scallion, basil, and nuts, and cook 1 or 2 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is done.
- Stir in the butter and correct seasoning to taste.
- Spoon the stir-fried chicken onto the lettuce leave, arranging all the ingredients evenly throughout.
1 1/4 cups rice wine vinegar*
1 cup honey
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup mirin*
2 scallions, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a 4-cup enamel or stainless steel saucepan, combine all the ingredients and cook, over medium-high heat until syrupy, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Strain into a clean container and cool.
- Refrigerate, covered, and use as needed.
*Note Rice wine vinegar and mirin can be purchased in markets that carry Asian products.