For the pecan streusel:
1 tbsp. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
For the filling:
1 large Garnet yam (orange-fleshed sweet potato), 12 to 14 oz.
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
sweetened whipped cream for serving
- Fold the dough round in half and transfer to a 9-inch pie dish. Unfold and ease into the pan, patting it firmly into the bottom and up the sides.
- Using kitchen shears, trim the edge of the dough round, leaving 3/4-inch overhang. Fold the overhang under itself and pinch it together to create a high edge on the pans rim. Flute the edge decoratively.
- Refrigerate or freeze the pie shell until firm, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 375°F.
- Line the pastry shell with aluminum foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or raw short-grain rice. Bake for 20 minutes, then lift an edge of the foil. If the dough looks wet, continue to bake, checking every 5 minutes, until the dough is pale gold, for a total baking time of 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- To make the pecan streusel, in a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Set aside.
- To make the filling, prick the yam several times with a fork, put directly on the oven rack and bake until tender when pierced with a knife, about 55 minutes. Alternatively, cook the yam in the microwave on high heat until tender, about 6 minutes per side. Set aside to cool. Peel the cooled yam and mash the pulp with a fork or puree in a food processor until smooth. Measure out 1 cup of the puree for the filling. (Reserve any remaining yam for another use.)
- In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, salt, and eggs. Add the cinnamon, ginger, and allspice and mix well. Stir in the yam puree and cream and beat until smooth. Pour into the partially-baked pie shell.
- Bake until the filling is firm, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven, quickly sprinkle the pecan streusel evenly over the surface, and continue baking until the filling is slightly risen and firm in the middle, 20 to 25 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Slice the pie into wedges and serve with whipped cream.
Makes one 9-inch pie.