1 pound russet potatoes, peeled
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup heavy cream, heated
1 tablespoon roasted garlic puree (recipe below)
1/2 pound spinach, stems removed
1 teaspoon wasabi mustard powder
Wasabi oil, to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the potatoes into large pieces of equal size. Cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender.
- Drain thoroughly. Pass through a food mill and whip in the butter, hot cream and roasted garlic puree.
- Blanch the spinach in boiling salted water for 10 seconds. Refresh in ice water. Drain thoroughly.
- Transfer to a blender and add wasabi powder and wasabi oil. Process to a puree.
- Stir into warm mashed potato. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4 whole heads of garlic
About 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange the garlic heads in a small roasting pan and toss with the olive oil, coating them well.
- Roast garlic until very tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- When cool, cut the heads in half, crosswise, with a serrated knife and remove the softened garlic pulp. This can be done by squeezing each half or by scooping the garlic out with a tiny teaspoon or small knife.
- Transfer to a container, cover, and refrigerate. Use as needed.
Makes about 1/2 cup.