- In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Set the Monterey Jack slices on 1 piece of toast. Spread the mayonnaise on the other slice of toast, then top with the bacon, tomato and lettuce.
- In a small, nonstick skillet, melt the butter. Add the egg and fry over moderate heat, turning once, until crisp around the edge, about 4 minutes; the yolk should still be runny.
- Slide the egg onto the lettuce; close the sandwich and eat right away.
Spanglish's Sandwich From Thomas Keller 4 thick slices of bacon 2 slices of Monterey Jack cheese 2 thick slices of rustic white bread, toasted and hot 1 tablespoon mayonnaise 4 tomato slices 2 leaves of butter lettuce 1 teaspoon unsalted butter 1 large egg
Related: Spanglish, Spanglish's Sandwich, tv dinners, Thomas Keller, blt, sandwiches, recipes, food & wine
Caramelized Onion and Cheese Toasts From Thomas Keller 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 small onion, thinly sliced Salt 1/4 cup water 8 Crostini Toasts, recipe below 2 ounces Taleggio or Reblochon cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the water and cook until it has evaporated and the onion is very tender and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the Crostini Toasts on a baking sheet and top each with a slice of cheese. Bake for about 4 minutes, or just until the cheese melts.
- Top with the caramelized onion and serve.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Arrange the bread on 2 large baking sheets and brush each slice on both sides with the olive oil.
- Bake for about 7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool completely.
Related: Caramelized Onion and Cheese Toasts, Thomas Keller, welcome back, vegetarian, recipes, appetizers